On our podcast this week, we get a chance to chat with one of my good friends Abel Wang from Microsoft. This one was so GOOD we had to stretch it out into three parts to make it fit our podcast. You’re gonna love it! (Click the links here for Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
Check out Part 1 and Part 2 for more… but this discussion is muy caliente! We talk about testing, the power of feature flags (Abel’s a tireless advocate for LaunchDarkly, one of our faves), how eliminating flaky tests is key, and Dynatrace.
- [1:00] – The power of feature flags
- [3:03] – Capability matrixes
- [6:00] – “Quality used to be something we just worried about at the end of the project… You just can’t move at speed without unit testing!”
- [9:41] – Unit tests are for regression errors.
- [12:08] – killing flaky tests – is a “red” build really red?
- [15:00] – Azure DevOps’ unique advantage in dogfooding – we can be our own guinea pigs with release rings!
- [19:10] – Dynatrace and the unbreakable release pipeline – using AI to catch and roll back on issues quickly
- [20:55] – What does the future hold? We look into a crystal ball and think about where we’ll be in 10 years.
- [22:50] – Is lift and shift an antipattern?
Links to live by:
- Abel’s killer blog, one of my personal faves: https://abelsquidhead.com/
- How do we get Azure DevOps pipelines to deliver microservices? – https://abelsquidhead.com/index.php/2019/01/03/how-to-best-use-azure-devops-release-pipelines-with-microservices/
- What about getting code metrics exposed as part of your builds? – https://abelsquidhead.com/index.php/2019/04/28/getting-code-visual-studio-code-analysis-and-code-metrics-in-an-azure-pipeline-build-part-1/ –
- An interview with Abel from Feb 2018 where he raves about LaunchDarkly and the subversive power of feature flags: https://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2018/02/02/advanced-devops.aspx
- What is Dynatrace, and how can it help us create “bulletproof”, self-healing release pipelines? https://abelsquidhead.com/index.php/2018/08/03/the-dynatrace-unbreakable-pipeline-in-vsts-and-azure-bam/#comment-7795 – dynatrace and unbreakable pipelines.
- …and a brand new 8-part release from Channel 9 on DevOps for .NET peeps: https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/On-NET/DevOps-For-ASPNET-Developers-Pt1-What-is-DevOps